Home > Newsroom > News Archive > 2013 News and Events > Sport Development & Excellence for the Student-Athlete Conference 2014
Sport Development & Excellence for the Student-Athlete Conference 2014
The “Sport Development & Excellence for the Student Athlete” Conference is organised as part of Singapore Sports School’s (SSP) 10th Year Anniversary Celebration and will provide a unique opportunity and platform to discuss the different issues of talent development and the complex interaction of interdisciplinary issues that impact athletic opportunity and progression.
The conference will bring together international leaders in youth sport and development to discuss and highlight the different models of sport development for the elite adolescence athletes and to explore how the application of these models has advanced coaches’ and practitioners’ understanding of the training and development of young athletes.
The conference will feature three international keynote speakers from the world of sport and academia key aspects of youth sport development.
In addition to our renowned keynote speakers an array of International Speakers gathered from 6 countries, will include:
- Mr Christopher Earl (Qatar) – Director of Sports, Aspire Academy;
- Professor Timo Jaakkola (Finland) – Lecturer, University of Jyväskylä, Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences;
- Dr Sami Kalaja (Finland) – Principal in Kilpinen Secondary School, Jyväskylä (Finland);
- Dr Taisuke Kinugasa (Japan) – Head Talent Identification Unit & Senior Sports Physiologist, Japan Institute of Sport Science;
- Dr Katalin Kovacs (Hungary) – Associate Professor, Semmelweis University Faculty of Physical Education & Sport Sciences;
- Dr Caroline Ringuet (Australia) - Associate Lecturer, Griffith Business School; and
- Mr Nitiphan Saraphakdi (Thailand) – (Vice President for Sports Schools).
Complementing our international guests will be an array of local experts from SSP and the wider Singapore sporting community, including the Singapore Sports Institute, National Sports Associations and institutes for further education. Local Speakers include:
- Bernd Stange - Singapore National Football Coach;
- Ruth Aitken - Singapore National Netball Coach
- Fernando Alegre - Singapore Sailing Coach, Optimist Class
- Mr Kunalan Canagasabai - Senior Manager, Singapore Sports Council
Coaches, sport scientists, PE teachers, students and all personnel working in sport or character development will benefit from world class international and local experts in the fields of sports talent development, character development, psychology, talent identification and fundamental movement, including:
- International Sports School Models
- Character building & Excellence for the Gifted Student
- Developing Champions: Coaches Perspectives
- Talent Identification & Development,
- Coaching and Sport Science Support for Student-Athletes (Practical Sessions)
- Academic Programmes in SSP
The 10th Anniversary Conference will incorporate the 2014 edition of the “Joint Symposium of Exercise and Sport Science”, in partnership with the Singapore Sports Institute, National Institute of Education/Physical Education and Sports Science Department, Republic Polytechnic, Raffles Institution and Defence Sciences Organisation, that will showcase the most recent research presentations in the area of sports science by the various local organisations in Singapore.
Tentative Conference Programme (subject to change/confirmation)
Key Topics Include
- Youth Sports Development
- Long Term Athlete Development
- Holistic Development of Student Athletes
- Character Excellence through Sports
In addition, a portion of this conference will also include the participation of the 2014 edition of the Joint Symposium in Exercise and Sports Science that will showcase the most recent research presentations in the area of sports science by the various local organisations in Singapore (Singapore Sports Council, National Institute of Education/Physical Education and Sports Science Department, Defence Science Organisation (Singapore), Republic Polytechnic and Raffles Institution.
View the “Sport Development & Excellence for the Student Athlete” Conference flyer here.
1) Complete 4D3N Package
S$300 per person includes 10th Year Anniversary Dinner (22nd January 2014), lodging at Singapore Sports School (22nd to 25th January 2014), conference registration, meals and organised tours.
2) Conference Tour Package
S$120 per person includes 10th Year Anniversary Dinner (22nd January 2014), conference registration, meals and organised tours.
3) Conference Basic Package
S$50 per person includes conference registration, tea and lunch.
The Conference will provide for shared accommodation in Singapore Sports School for a maximum number of three nights (22nd, 23rd and 24th January 2014) for conference participants who signed up for the complete 4D3N package. The shared accommodation (4 or 6 beds dormitories rooms) comes fully furnished with bed and linen and all meals will be provided for the duration of stay. Participants should note that there are limited on campus residential accommodation available for booking.
Please note that no accommodation will be provided for participants who sign up for the conference tour package or the conference basic package. Participants will need to arrange, and pay for their own accommodation for the duration of the conference.
About the Joint Symposium in Exercise and Sports Science (JSESS)
The JSESS is a joint initiative by the Singapore Sports School, Singapore Sports Council, Singapore Sports Institute, National Institute of Education / Physical Education and Sports Science Department, DSO National Laboratories, Republic Polytechnic and Raffles Institution to showcase local sports science related research.
This is the fourth installation of the symposium and will provide opportunities for students and educators to listen to research presentations from Sports Science Specialists, researchers and practitioners.