About The IBDP
The philosophy about the nature of education is the driving force behind the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme and is expressed through three elements: The IB mission statement, learner profile and the fundamental principles on which the curriculum is based and which continue to inspire its development.
The International Baccalaureate® aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment.
These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
The IB learner profile is the embodiment of the IB mission statement in 10 attributes and aims to define the type of learner the IB aspires to develop in its three programmes. The learner profile is located at the heart of the programme so as to provide a focus for reflection on what is most important in IB World Schools and the IB teaching profession.
Click to enlarge image
Students study six courses at Higher Level (HL) or Standard Level (SL):
- Three HL and three SL
- One subject is chosen each from Groups 1 to 5
- Sixth subject may be an Arts subject from Group 6, or another subject from Groups 1 to 5
- Three Core subjects (Theory of Knowledge, Extended Essay and CAS)
IBDP Assessment Structure and Point System
- Grades awarded for each course range from 1 (lowest) to 7 (highest)
- Maximum a student can score for six subjects is 42 points
- Up to 3 additional points are awarded for combined results on Theory of Knowledge and Extended Essay
- Highest total: 45 points
- To obtain the Diploma, a student has to gain at least 24 points, subject to certain minimum levels of performance across the whole programme, including TOK and EE, and to satisfactory participation in Creativity, Activity, Service